Sunday, October 30, 2011

God Pause for Sunday.....

Psalm 36:5-10 (Click to view Bible text below.)
My 8th grade confirmation class gave me a gift recently. It's a fleece blanket that they hand-tied as part of a service project. But it's not just any blanket: it's the biggest blanket in the world. Seriously. This blanket is longer than my couch. My whole family can snuggle under it and still have room left over. Its size and weight makes me feel like I am being completely cared for. Thinking of the students who made it warms my heart.

That's the image I get from this Psalm: God's love as the biggest blanket in the world. It stretches from the ground to the sky and back again. It envelops all of creation, people of every age and creed and race. This love offers comfort and peace, security and warmth. It never fails.

Can you feel this kind of love in your life today? How?

Wrap me up in your love today, gracious God, and warm my heart. Amen.
Shelley Cunningham
Christ the King Lutheran Church, New Brighton, Minn.
Master of Divinity, 1998
Psalm 36:5-10 (NRSV)

5 Your steadfast love, O Lord, extends to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds.

6 Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, your judgments are like the great deep; you save humans and animals alike, O Lord.

7 How precious is your steadfast love, O God! All people may take refuge in the shadow of your wings.

8 They feast on the abundance of your house, and you give them drink from the river of your delights.

9 For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light.

10 O continue your steadfast love to those who know you, and your salvation to the upright of heart!

3 comments:

  1. I love that! And a HUGE Congrats on #2!! I know you're excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, AEOT!

    Just found your blog and I love it! I am living in Tokyo, have a home in Orlando, but originally from Michigan. I have a question (something you may find fun!?) and wanted to email you...how do I do that?

    ~Stephanie (mom of 3)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi LGL,

    You can email me at aeobows at hotmail dot com. I tried to hit reply to your comment but it gives me the noreply@blogger.com. You can fix that to have your email there by fixing your settings in blogger.

    ReplyDelete

Things I need to know......