Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sometimes God just knows what you need!

This was my God Pause devotional for today.............

"All who believe and are baptized shall see the Lord's salvation."

What do babies know and believe? They know when they are loved. They sense when they are safe. They believe that certain things are to their benefit: a feeding, a change of diapers, a good burp, and a warm nap.

What do we know and believe? Pretty much the same thing, minus the diaper and burp. We know when we are loved. We sense when we are safe. And we believe that there are certain things that are beneficial for this life.

What has God promised to us in baptism? He has promised that we are loved and that we are safe in the arms of Jesus. He has promised that what we need for this life and the life to come--forgiveness, life and salvation--is given freely by a God who loves us so very much.

What do you know and believe?

Dear Lord, on this day we give thanks for the gift of our baptisms. As you first washed us with this water, continue to wash over us with your presence. Renew us, restore us, revitalize us to be the people you have called us to be. Amen.

Mark A. Grorud
St. Michael Lutheran Church, Omaha, Neb.
Master of Divinity, 1979

"All Who Believe and Are Baptized," ELW 442
1 All who believe and are baptized
Shall see the Lord's salvation;
Baptized into the death of Christ,
They are a new creation;
Through Christ's redemption they will stand
Among the glorious heav'nly band
Of ev'ry tribe and nation.

2 With one accord, O God, we pray,
Grant us your Holy Spirit;
Help us in our infirmity
Through Jesus' blood and merit;
Grant us to grow in grace each day
By holy Baptism, that we may
Eternal life inherit.



Today at church we discussed Jesus's baptism.  Also, one of the most darling, happiest baby girls was baptized.  Then I got this devotional in my in box.  Apparently, God has decided that it's time that B and I discuss puddin's spiritual future.  I grew up Catholic, and he grew up Episcopalian.  We were married in the Episcopal Church, and as long as we find an Episcopalian community here that we like, our children will be raised this way.  It is not that I don't love and appreciate the Catholic Church or the upbringing I received there.  We have talked quite a bit and decided that the Episcopal Church meets our current needs as a couple and, hopefully, as a family.  We did like the church we attended this a.m. and will be going back a few times to see if it's a good fit.  If it stands as our new church home, we then have to make the baptism decision..........................when to do it, who will be Godparents, what puddin' will wear, etc.  We're going to talk with both sets of parents this week to discuss our options on dates (Nov 2010, Jan 2011, Easter 2011, Pentacost 2011) and see what they think.  The Episcopal Church has set dates for baptism, and while I would prefer to baptize earlier rather than later (I was baptized at 3 weeks), we'll have to wait for awhile.  Did you all baptize your children?  When (or when were you yourself baptized)?  Any suggestions or things I need to know?  And, isn't this just a lovely devotional? 

4 comments:

  1. we celebrated Jesus' baptism too and yet again, I just felt so lucky- that was the prevalent feeling I had all of Advent when reflecting upon His arrival- lucky.

    xoox

    kHm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! My husband and I are both Catholic and active in our church. We had both of children baptized when they were two or three months old. We attended the baptismal prep courses and got to know the other parents. We then celebrated with gatherings at our home afterward. Very special days, indeed. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was baptized at roughly three weeks old. I have no children but an godmother to my niece. My brother did a private baptism on a Saturday (a sort-of-tradition in our family and really the best option considering their relationship) and sprung the godmother bit on my sister and I at the baptismal font when the pastor asked him who her godparents were. He didn't even ask first, not that we would have said 'no'! He just answered 'Casey and X'. My sister and I just looked at each other - we didn't want to make a scene even though there was only 9 of us total in the church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post! We all have so much to be thanksful for, our Jesus, our Savior, is at the top of that list!

    ReplyDelete

Things I need to know......