Monday, September 24, 2012

Applique tutorial

I saw this applique tutorial on Pinterest, and I decided this was something I definitely wanted to try. I'm so glad I did. The tutorial is easy to follow, and as long as you have basic sewing skills (and I mean basic), you can definitely knock this out!!
I had the long sleeved onsie for Peter (actually from when Spence was a babe) and I bought Spencer's shirt for $5 at Target. I bought the all the fabric on sale at Joanns, bought the Wonder Under there too, and went to work. I literally copied the patterns for the pumpkin, the stems, and the leaves right off the computer by taping the fabric to my computer screen.

I've already washed the shirts and, great success, the appliques didn't come off. I definitely was worried that they would!!

I have already cut out and wonder undered a few other shirts and now just need to sew them. I have green and navy trees for a wintertime scene, a P and a S as a simple monogram, and a ghost for Halloween. It's a fun, easy, and cheap way to do cute shirts for boys (which are hard to find, especially when I want them to match). I'm hoping to do an anchor and sailboat for next summer and perhaps a 3 and a 1 for their birthdays next May.
 
Have you ever appliqued before? I promise, you can totally do this! The original poster states that she finds heavier fabrics easier to work with, and after using both lightweight and heavier fabric, I would agree with her. Corduroy is really easy, and satin would suck. So try to find heavier fabric if it's a possibility!! I do have to say that the orange and white stripe fabric used above is quite lightweight and, while it was harder to use, it ended up being just fine. The burlap I used for the stems was a PITA though. I would never use that again!! Live and learn, right?
 
Anyway, I love the tutorial and I thought some of you might find it useful!!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. So S looks more like you and P ,looks more like your hubby...is that what other people say???

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - nice work but don't think I'll be doing this anytime soon...kind of like when you wrote about breast feeding :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE those boys! Very cuddly one of just Sweet Pete!

    xoox

    kHm

    ReplyDelete
  4. how cute! I think I repinned this when you pinned it. I will have to try it someday!

    ReplyDelete

Things I need to know......