Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Rolling, rolling, rolling.......

 
As a mom of an infant, I have found that I love the closely spaced pediatrician visits b/c I love getting Peter's weight and height and I love doing the developmental checklists and knowing that he is on track. At the four month visit, babies are supposed to be rolling over from tummy to back, and though I checked that Peter did that on the checklist we have to fill out, he really had only done it once. It made me feel slightly inferior that other babies (including Spencer) were rolling over regularly by 4 months and Peter wasn't. Yes, this is me totally admitting that my self esteem is changed by what my children do. Ugg, I know this shouldn't be the case, but I bet that most honest moms feel this way too.
 
The pedi told me that often her "chunkier" babies took longer to roll and not to worry that he wasn't rolling regularly. He was meeting all his other milestones and he obviously has great tone, so she was not at all worried. I really wasn't either- I just like to check things off on lists though, you know?
 
Well, look who decided to surprise me this weekend when he rolled, not only front to back but also back to front all on the same day????? We were at friends for dinner and we were just chilling in the family room on the floor when PUT just started rolling all over the place. He would do it and then he would look up and just grin like a madman. SOOOO cute! He's got it down now, and yesterday rolled over and over in his room until he ran into the dresser. He started crying so I moved him away from the dresser, and he started rolling around again with wild abandon. It's awesome.
 
As a nurse practitioner, I love, love, love having parents come in and tell me what their kids are "working on" and what they have recently accomplished. I love to see the pride come onto the parents and kids faces when the parents mention how good their child is at something, especially when it is a kid who may not hear positive things about him/herself very often. I feel the same way right now. I love that I see him learning and changing and growing. It's so fun. I also love seeing Spencer getting excited about Peter learning things. He has decided he wants to teach Peter to walk. How do you explain to a 2 year old that that's going to be about 8-10 months from now?? Sweet boy!
 
Soooo, tell me, what is your child working on right now? Why are you a proud momma? Spencer's "thing" right now is his amazing vocab- it's growing by leaps and bounds in the past few months and his sentence structure is amazing. I also love that he wants to practice "back and through" all the time (ie- golf). Are you in the midst of learning how to count, how to say the ABCs, or how to do long division? Are you potty training? Are your kids loving their sports right now? Please start bragging because I am listening!!!!

7 comments:

  1. I love watching my boys grow as much as you do! And I've finally learned to relax a little--most of the time they just need to do things on their terms! My big boy, Nate, is really developing his imagination right now. I love listening to his conversations. And my little guy, Cole, is adding word after word every day. This is so different for me because Nate was a very late talker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo of Peter is just too much - what a handsome chunk of hunk!

    Master P is alternatively making me melt with pride and melt as in a meltdown . . . on the positive side, he's doing so well with his ABCs, and he's started singing to himself (in a non-crazy person manner) since starting school. He's learning to share - to the extent two year olds can, he's doing well with it - and getting "please" down, both of which make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I think kids just do things on their own time and own pace, but it's funny that he started rolling this weekend! Way to go!!

    We're currently working on sitting - Preston has been rolling belly to back for about 2 weeks now and he's DYING to sit up on his own. He is constantly straining to sit when we have him reclined. I'm actually going to be really excited when he can sit up because I think it will make play time way more fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. each child is so different. thats so cute that he just started rolling! Have a happy Tuesday and be sure to enter to win a custom made shot glass! . BTW I am your newest follower and cannot wait to read more of your posts and hope that maybe you can return the favor and follow The Preppy Student. I always comment for every comment left on my page and hope to start a friendly relationship with your wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww what a big boy rolling around like that! Caroline is now a pro at eye contact and smiling! I am waiting for her to laugh. Hopefully it will be soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Peter, Go!
    It is crazy how much he looks like BYT, BTW :)
    I want to let you know that Naomi took her very first steps today, after finally letting go of the coffee table and not immediately plopping down on her behind. She stood without holding onto anything earlier in the day (also one of the first times she had done that) so Jon told me to call her over from the table. I couldn't believe it but she took three purposeful steps before sitting down. I am so proud! I am also very excited that Jon got to see it, he is on a tough rotation right now so it was very serendipitous. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats mama! Peter will be up and running before you and Spencer know it. Sounds like Spencer is a great big brother :)

    ReplyDelete

Things I need to know......