Sunday, June 27, 2010

God Pause for Sunday

Do people who become Christians really know what they are getting into?


They come to our church because we are welcoming and friendly, because our greeters smile, because our youth have fun. They come because our music is beautiful and inspirational. They come because the word is out that our pastor's sermons are really meaningful and lively. They come because we are spiritually peaceful and they want this. Perhaps they come to your church for these reasons too. But do they really know what they're getting into?

This hymn asks that question. Because following Jesus changes us. Following is more than sitting in a chair or pew, singing quietly for our own benefit. Following is getting up and walking in Jesus' footsteps. Are you interested in being changed -- not only at the resurrection, but this afternoon, tonight and tomorrow? Follow Jesus into the crowds and you'll never be the same.

Here we come, Jesus, wanting safety, peace and quiet. And here you meet us, anxious to whirl us into a wild dance of love, healing and reconciliation. We want to never be the same again, but we hesitate because where you go and how you dance scares us! Teach us to trust your lead, Lord Jesus, and become the music with you. Amen.

Chris Kramer
Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, The Dalles, Ore.
Master of Divinity, 2007

"Will You Come and Follow Me?" ELW 798 (Also known as The Summons in the Catholic Church)

1. Will you come and follow me if I but call your name?

Will you go where you don't know and never be the same?
Will you let my love be shown? Will you let my name be known,
will you let my life be grown in you and you in me?

2. Will you leave yourself behind if I but call your name?
Will you care for cruel and kind and never be the same?
Will you risk the hostile stare should your life attract or scare?
Will you let me answer prayer in you and you in me?

3. Will you let the blinded see if I but call your name?
Will you set the prisoners free and never be the same?
Will you kiss the leper clean and do such as this unseen,
and admit to what I mean in you and you in me?

4. Will you love the "you" you hide if I but call your name?
Will you quell the fear inside and never be the same?
Will you use the faith you've found to reshape the world around,
through my sight and touch and sound in you and you in me?

5. Lord your summons echoes true when you but call my name.
Let me turn and follow you and never be the same.
In Your company I'll go where Your love and footsteps show.
Thus I'll move and live and grow in you and you in me.





2 comments:

  1. Just read your comment on QBS's post...Thanks. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I a so glad you posted this... I am really, really asking myself this question lately. I believe so strongly that God has called me to medicine to serve the poor and needy, but I feel like to do that I'm giving up on this American dream I've created for myself... the 4 bedroom house, the gorgeous yard... I feel like the two are worlds apart... I know that the life I feel called to in Christ offers more joy, but it also seems so counterintuitive... so scary and so different from everything I know... I'm praying that God will continue to call me louder and louder and more urgently until all I can hear is His voice and all I can see is His vision for my life... that all the parts of my dreams for me that don't fit his dreams for me would fall away...

    ReplyDelete

Things I need to know......