Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lent

Today is Ash Wednesday, or the first day of Lent. While I miss the joyful praise songs during this church season, I do love the contemplation it brings. I won't be able to attend services today as I am at work until 8 p.m., I will head down to the hospital chapel for ashes. B and I have decided to give up sweets this year. It will be tough for both of us! I do not subscribe to the "Sundays off" philosophy where on each Sunday you are allowed to indulge in that which you have given up. I realize this makes Lent 5 days longer (because the Sundays are not included in the 40 day count), but to me it just feels like cheating. I also found a website that delivers a daily devotional to my email each day for the 40 days. I'm hoping this will help me take a few minutes during the middle of each day to quietly pray and remember why Lent is important to those who believe in the Christian faith.

Have any of you given anything up this year? Or are you adding something such as daily devotionals or Bible readings? I'd love to hear about it!!

2 comments:

  1. I am headed to B&N today and I think I'm going to get Morning and Evening by Spurgeon :) Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog! I think I was really just looking for some empathy and your comment provided just that! I'd love to sign up for the lent email devotion.

    This year I am giving up shopping for things I don't need, it's going to be so hard. I'm also fasting one day a week (I think I'm going to fast saturdays and break fast on sundays so that even eating after fasting is an act of worship).

    ReplyDelete

Things I need to know......