Monday, March 2, 2009

So proud!!

Girls, I am NOT a runner. Never have been. I'll go out and run with B if the weather is perfect or if we're up north and don't go to the gym. The farthest I've ever run is 3.5 miles, and I always hate it. I love the eliptical, I love classes, I love lifting weights, but running just isn't me.

So, I married a man who loves to run!! This is new for him in the past three years, but he loves it enough that he's running the Chicago marathon this fall. He's been wanting me to run a 10K for the longest time, and I have never agreed to do this. I've done a few 5Ks and a sprint distance triathalon and have done fine with them, but 6.2 miles????? That's crazy!!

A few weeks ago, we were talking about it again and there is a 10K race here in Chicago at the end of April. It's the start of the official marathon training program. B, again, asked me if I wanted to do it. I have sort of agreed to do this (again, I may just be crazy!). I've decided that I'll train for 3 weeks, and if I feel confident at that stage, I'll officially sign up.

So last week I had to complete 2, 2.5, and 3 mile runs throughout the week. Each and every run was miserable and I couldn't do one without stopping. I really dislike running on treadmill as it is, and it's must much easier to stop (because I don't have to get home like I do when I'm running outside). Today I went to the gym knowing I had to run 2.5 miles. I got there, started running, and I felt great. I mean like really good, no cramps, strong legs, etc. I just decided that I would keep running until I was ready to stop------ AND I RAN 4 MILES!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never done this, ever, and I felt really good when I stopped. So maybe the rest of the runs this week will also be good as long as I keep practicing? Girls, there might be a 10K in me somewhere!!! WooHoo!!

**Maybe this running combined with the sweets I've given up for Lent will help me lose 8-10 lbs so that I'll be hot for our honeymoon????**

2 comments:

  1. Every person I know who started running after high school or college started just this way.

    Everybody hates running when they are out of shape, but the great thing about running is you start to see improvement so quickly and once you get to where you can run 3 miles without feeling like your a dead girl walking, its addicting. It's easy to do anywhere, and you feel like you've accomplished so much when you are done!

    Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I know how exciting that can be! I have an 8K (my first race EVER) in less than 2 weeks, and I got in a lull. I HAVE to get back on the wagon, quick!! Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete

Things I need to know......